Job Title: Project manager
The Project Manager plans, directs, or coordinates the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. Participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, budgeting, and implementation through completion. The Project Manager serves as the owner’s representative to stakeholders and general public to oversee the strategic direction of development projects to meet the organization’s goals.
- Knowledge of Housing & Urban Development Public Housing regulations and policies pertinent to the department
- Knowledge of the planning and development of multifamily real estate projects.
- Knowledge of HUD programs, requirements, and policies/procedures
- Knowledge of DHC and departmental policies, procedures, and goals.
- Knowledge of organization’s structure, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of standard office procedures, filing, and standard office equipment, including computer, fax, copier, telephone system.
- Knowledge of various funding sources and application processes for affordable housing development
- Knowledge of building construction.
- Knowledge of managing construction project, subcontractors, and project development participants.
- Knowledge of basic office practices, procedures, and equipment
- Knowledge and understanding of project management tools and principles.
- Knowledge of HUD programs, requirements, and policies & procedures
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of budgeting and budget administration
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of contract administration
Essential Job Functions
- Evaluate the feasibility of potential development opportunities, conceptualize a development program in concert with organizational mission and goals and make recommendations to supervisor/senior team
- Plan and implements review of all financial and physical due diligence needed to safeguard the organization’s investments in real estate.
- Plan and obtain entitlements, planning approval and all construction permits and approvals, and all wet and dry utility plans and approvals in conjunction with development team partners.
- Prepare and monitor projects budgets and cash flow projections. Establish and monitor time cost schedules. Monitor and prepare project financial accounting, contract payments, lender, and funder reporting requirements in a timely manner.
- Research sources of funding and maintain familiarity with threshold screening criteria of key sources. Prepare and submit funding applications to secure funding to support predevelopment, construction, and permanent phases for development.
- Strategize and participate with supervisors in the negotiation, coordination, and preparation of various development-related contracts, obtaining legal reviews as needed to minimize risk to the Organization and to secure project financing.
- Manage the design process in conjunction with supervisor/senior team and coordinate design process with Asset Management, Property Management and Resident Services Departments as directed.
- Manage the design and construction teams including architects, general contractors, engineers, construction managers and other consultants to ensure adherence to project budget and schedule, cost containment and quality control.
- Conduct and arrange regular site inspections and construction draw meetings. Personally, inspect active construction project at least twice a month.
- Manage professional services contracts and vendors as related to DHC’s operations
- Regular and routine onsite attendance
- Strategize and plan outreach to garner community support for projects. Attend and participate in community and government organization meetings as needed.
- Implement an approved selection process to recommend the hiring of development team members, contract consultants’ and financial partners appropriate to the subject project.
- Prepare and present progress reports to supervisor, senior team, board of directors, board committee, and others as requested.
- Assist in researching and preparing policy briefing for Agency, Supervisor and Directors as requested.
- Coordinate transfer process with Asset Management and Resident Services staff after completion of construction and/or acquisitions of existing residential.
- All other duties as assigned
- Manage professional services vendors and contracts related to DHC’s operations
- Analyze invoices, purchase orders and requisitions accurately
- Communicate effectively orally or in writing with relevant stakeholders, internal and external, from a variety of backgrounds
- Communicate technical ideas clearly and effectively
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders to accomplish organizational goals
- Manage multiple priorities and demands within established requirements
- Manage time effectively to ensure all work is completed timely and effectively
- Plan, organize, complete or assign work and special projects in order to meet organizational goals
- Prepare clear and accurate reports for informational, auditing, and operational use
- Provide high level, quality customer service both internally and externally
- Read and understand department specific documentation, and policies and procedures
- Reconcile accounts, records, reports and journals
- Position-specific software
- Operate standard office equipment
- Act independently
- Analyze situations
- Attend to details
- Communicate verbally
- Communicate in writing
- Make public presentations
- Identify problems
- Manage pressure
- Problem solve
- Think creatively
- Must have or be able to acquire a valid state driver’s license
- Must pass federal, state, and local criminal investigation clearances, and pass a drug screening test administered by the Commission or its designated provider
- Must be insurable under the agency’s insurance policy
- Must be bondable.
Bachelor’s Degree in urban planning, public administration, accounting, business, construction management or related field.
- 2 years of experience with lender or investor organizations.
- 2 years of experience with low-income housing tax credit financing.
- At least 1-year experience with community planning and contract management is preferred.
No direct employee supervisory responsibilities
Senior Project Manager
Physical Activities and Demands
- Close vision
- Distance vision
- Color vision
- Depth perception
- Peripheral vision
- Communication systems
- Indoor environments
- Outdoor environments
- Accounting software
- Customer relationship management software
- Contract management software
- Database software
- Programming software
- Design software
- Financial systems
- Internet software
- Inventory software
- Project management software
- Purchasing systems
- Spreadsheet software
- Word processing software
SALARY RANGE: $60,000-$70,000
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities performed by persons assigned to this classification. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor or manager to assign, direct and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. All principle duties and responsibilities of this position are essential functions of the position. Job descriptions are reviewed on a regular basis and may be revised at any time. Revisions will be communicated to employees within the classification. This job description does not constitute a contract of employment; therefore, the company may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time. MARIJUANA
Although marijuana has been legalized under Michigan law, it is a Schedule I controlled substance and is illegal under federal law. As a federally funded agency DHC’s employees are NOT permitted to use or possess any form of marijuana for medical or recreational purposes. Any applicant for employment who tests positive for marijuana during a pre-employment drug screening shall be ineligible for employment with DHC. Any applicant for employment who advises DHC that s/he uses any form of marijuana will be ineligible for employment with DHC. DHC is unable to grant a request for a reasonable accommodation to use marijuana under any circumstance.
Please note: A COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for employment with DHC.
Submit cover letter, and resume detailing your qualifications/work experience and Voluntary Self- Identification forms to:
Detroit Housing Commission
1301 E. Jefferson
Detroit, MI 48207
Apply online at www.dhcmi.org under Careers.