Job Title: Desktop Support Technician
The purpose of this position is to perform desktop support tasks and assist staff IT helpdesk support needs as it relates to basic and advanced level repair of desktop PCs, applications and supporting technology equipment and related peripherals and mobile devices. Routine tasks will include troubleshooting, diagnosis, setup, installation and relocation of desktop PCs and equipment, maintenance and repair of electronic equipment including desktop PCs, photo ID and access key card systems, network components and related peripherals within established standards and guidelines. The Desktop Support Technician will work under the direction of the IT Manager.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists staff with the installation, configuration, equipment relocation and ongoing usability of desktop computers, and related equipment, including printers, scanners, FAX machines, end-user phone and network equipment, mobile devices setup, desktop operating systems and software applications.
- Assists staff and IT with helpdesk requests, determine and resolve routine IT desktop support issues received via email, phone, verbal or helpdesk system.
- Ensure desktop computers interconnect seamlessly with different systems including associated validation systems, file servers, email servers and application servers.
- Trains and orients staff on the use of new hardware equipment, operating systems and software applications, create/update desktop support reference documentation and manuals.
- Maintain and support photo ID, security and access key card systems.
- Maintain and support training room equipment and assists staff training room scheduling requests.
- Assists staff with data reporting requirements if assigned.
- Maintain inventory log of hardware equipment, including desktop PCs laptops, printers, scanners, FAX machines, end-user phone equipment and other peripheral devices.
- Performs routine maintenance of desktop operating system and software application, including system and security patch/service pack updates and antivirus signature updates.
- Recommends and/or performs upgrades on systems to ensure hardware/software longevity.
- Hands on experience in Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 desktop Operating system and assist/train end users to quickly adopt Windows 7 in business environment.
- Hands on experience in Office 2010 and Adobe Professional suites environment.
- Develop end user training material for desktop applications and assist/train end users to improve productivity.
- Hands on experience in supporting security access key cards and photo ID system.
- Hands on experience in supporting desk phones and Smart cell phone equipment.
- Basic knowledge of MS SQL database administration and crystal report writing.
- Basic knowledge of Windows 2003/2008 server environment.
- Basic knowledge of network structured cabling and diagnostic/repair techniques.
- End user Log-in problem issues.
- Resolve and respond to helpdesk service ticket/calls.
- Repair and service of desktop PCs/notebooks issues.
- Software Upgrade/Installation/configuration of desktop application/device drivers.
- Break/fix and maintenance requests related to hardware equipment like Display Monitors, Printers, Plotters, System board, Hard drives, Power supplies, NIC cards, USB devices, CDROM/DVDs, Hand Held device support but not limited.
- Preventative Maintenance Processes to keep PCs, notebooks and Printers/MFPs/FAX machines in working condition.
- Software images and desktop image management (Windows RIS imaging or other desktop imaging techniques).
Physical Efforts and Working Conditions
The Desktop Support Technician will work in a sedentary office environment but requires mobility between buildings and offices. The work involves normal risks or discomforts associated with an office environment. The work area is usually adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
The DHC Desktop Support Technician must have or be capable of obtaining a valid State of Michigan Driver’s License; pass federal, state, and local criminal investigation clearances, and pass a drug screening test administered by the Detroit Housing Commission or the appointed designee, be insurable under the agency’s insurance policy, and be bondable.
Position requires a Bachelor Degree in Information Systems or Computer Science or a related field and two years experience in computer programming, systems analysis and design.
Must meet all pre-employment/promotional job related testing standards. Any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Salary: Salary will be commensurate with experience
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a cover letter, resume detailing your qualifications/work experience and Voluntary Self-Identification forms to:
Venesta Jones, Detroit Housing Commission
1301 E. Jefferson
Detroit, MI 48207
To to www.dhcmi.org Click on the Careers tab, Click on the position that you are interested in, Click on the "Apply" Button.