Job Title: Front Desk Security Guard
The purpose of this position is to provide assistance in providing security to DHC buildings by aiding in the performance of the following duties:
Patrolling the premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors and windows. Answering alarms and investigating disturbances. Monitoring and authorizing entrance and departure of employees, visitors and other persons to maintain the security of the premises. Work is performed under the direction of the Associate Manager of Security and Property Eviction.
Essential Job Functions
- Patrol the outside perimeter of the building to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors and windows
- Answer alarms and investigate disturbances
- Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of employees, visitors and other persons to maintain the security of the premises
- Write reports of daily activities and irregularities, such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons or unusual occurrences
- Call police or fire departments in cases of emergency
- Periodically circulate around the inside of the building to preserve order and protect property
- Answer telephone calls
- Warn persons of infractions and escort violators from the premises
- Greet guests in front lobby area, direct to appropriate destination
- Demonstrate regular and predictable attendance
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Skilled in communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to de-escalate volatile situations
- Skilled in observation necessary to reasonably determine in an individual may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Ability to appropriately refer and assist individuals coming into the lobby area
Physical Effort and Working Conditiions
Work is principally sedentary. No special physical demands are required. The work involves normal risks or discomforts associated with an office environment. The work area is usually adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated. Physical requirements: Lifting more than 25 pounds is unusual, but extensive walking and climbing stairs is not.
The Front Desk Security Guard must have and maintain a valid State of Michigan Driver’s License, be bondable and insurable, be capable of obtaining federal, State of Michigan and City of Detroit Police Department criminal investigation clearances, and be able to pass a drug screening test administered by DHC or its appointed designee.
Ability to read, write, follow oral and written instructions, and at least 2 years of experience as a security guard; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position. Must be at least 18 years of age with a High School Diploma or GED and ability to read and write, have no convictions for theft, assault, criminal mischief or criminal threatening.
|This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job classification. This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of this position. It is not intended to limit or in any way to modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind of level or difficulty.|
Salary: $12:00 per hr. with benefits + pension plan
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume detailing your qualifications/work experience and Voluntary Self-Identification forms to:
Venesta Jones, Detroit Housing Commission
1301 E. Jefferson
Detroit, MI 48207
Go to www.dhcmi.org Click on the careers tab