Job Title: Deputy Procurement Manager
The purpose of this position is to perform senior procurement work per the official designated guidelines required by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development as related to the buying of a wide variety of professional, non-professional services and goods. The Procurement Specialist oversees bids and proposals in the open competitive process for solicitations, develops bid responses and contract award language for the purchase of goods and services. The incumbent assists the Procurement Manager in the management of the Procurement Division and acts in absence of Procurement Manager
Essential Job Functions
- Assist in the management of the daily operations of contracting and procurement functions providing technical assistance to DHC staff in navigating the government procurement process to purchasing goods and services.
- Maintain a system of internal controls and develop activity reports and budgets for the operation of the Procurement Division.
- Prepare formal solicitations; professional services and other complex solicitations and perform independent price or cost analysis.
- Provide technical assistance and advice to managers in the development of Request for Proposals, Professional Service Agreements and general procurement requests.
- Process or assign approved emergency procurement activities.
- Assist in the negotiation of contract terms, conditions and costs.
- Interface as assigned with the General Counsel to ensure that the legal aspects of procurement are followed.
- Implement the development and or revision of policies and procedures designed to further the efficient operation of the procurement program, as assigned.
- Implement, monitor and document the use of policies and procedures for purchasing and contracting in accordance with applicable federal – U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and local and laws and procedures.
- Maintain of repository of information on updated changes review information regularly for additions/deletions to the regulations relative to governmental purchasing methods.
- Review and approve evaluation plans for Requests for Proposals (RFP) or Requests for Qualifications /Quotations RFQ) .
- Draft resolutions for the Housing Commission and correspondence for HUD reviews; pre and post solicitation.
- Represent the Commission in contacts with vendors, consultants, contractors and potential contractors, Commission staff and governmental representatives.
- Verify contract performance.
- Secure reports from technical staff for inclusions in the weekly and monthly reports which the DHC Procurement Manager must submit to DHC management giving updates/progress reports on procurement activities.
- Provide updates on regulatory changes to the Procurement Manger for the bi-weekly Administrative Meetings.
- Respond to internal and external inquiries related to assigned procurement work.
- Assess staff skills, review requisite performance appraisals and make recommendations for improved work performance or disciplinary action as necessary to the Procurement Manager.
- Assist the Procurement Manager in conducting review of procurement activities completed by DHC staff and/or Alternative Management entities as needed.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of HUD, and other federal, state, and local policies, procedures, and regulations related to the operation of a public housing authority regarding procurement.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of procurement as identified by HUD and other federal guidelines.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of budgeting and budget administration
- Knowledge of supervisory methods within a HUD structure.
- Knowledge of report preparation techniques.
- Ability to interpret and apply insurance regulations as applicable to procurement policies.
- Ability to identify data to analyze for inclusions in report submissions.
- Ability to manage work through planning, organizing, delegating, and checking for completions of routine work and special projects in order to meet organizational goals and deadlines.
- Ability to develop, establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials, and the general public. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, co-workers, persons from other departments and vendors
- Ability to operate most standard office equipment such as fax machines, copiers, calculator, computer, etc.
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions
- Ability to analyze invoices, purchase orders, and requisitions.
- Skill in the use of personal computers
Physical Effort and Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a sedentary office environment but requires mobility between buildings and offices. The work involves normal risks or discomforts associated with an office environment. The work area is usually adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
The DHC Procurement Manager must have or be capable of obtaining a valid State of Michigan Driver’s License, be capable of obtaining both a State of Michigan and City of Detroit Police Department criminal investigation clearance, be able to pass a drug screening test administered by the Detroit Housing Commission or the appointed designee, be insurable under the agency’s insurance policy, and be bondable.
Minimum Qualifications (Education/Experience)
A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, or closely related field plus three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in procurement and contracting for a public (government) agency or large corporation that has a formalized procurement process whereby procurement actions and contract award recommendations must be justified and documented in writing with increasingly responsible buying and contract administration experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit cover letter, resume detailing your qualifications/work experience and Voluntary Self- Identification forms to:
Venesta Jones, Detroit Housing Commission
1301 E. Jefferson
Detroit, MI 48207
Apply online at www.dhcmi.org under Careers.