Job Title: Housing Specialist
The purpose of this position is to provide operational support of the Detroit Housing Commission’s Section 8 programs by assisting in the delivery of program services and may include application processing, waiting list management, portability actions, intake actions, and recertification duties. Additionally work involves communication with participating property owners and management companies. The work is performed under the supervision of an HCV Supervisor or Manager.
Essential Job Functions
- Recertifications (Annual, Interim and Special): Notify program participants and landlords of scheduled reexaminations. Interview participants; verify and document required information. Calculate tenant share of rent. Recertifications may be conducted via mail, individual or group briefing sessions or as a home visit where a reasonable accommodation to persons with disabilities is required. Process requests for minimum rent hardship exemptions. Notify participant, landlord, and Finance Department of new HAP and tenant payment amounts. Enter recertification data into computer system and generate a HUD-50058. HUD regulations require timely processing of annual and interim recertifications, including corrections, MTCS or other essential data.
- Terminations: Initiate voucher termination for participants who fail to comply with program requirements. Initiate HAP Contract terminations and HAP abatements for landlords who fail to comply with program requirements. Prepare cases for hearings; participate in hearings as required.
- Prepare correspondence using standard form letters, editing them to fit specific circumstances.
- Make personal, telephone, or email contact with a wide variety of people, including: applicants; voucher holders; employers; financial institutions; service or benefit providers; property managers; and landlords/owners. Contacts are for a variety of purposes, including: explaining program requirements; negotiating rents and HAP contracts; verifying information on income, assets, or deductions; and resolving problems.
- Provide good customer service by regularly and timely responding to email and telephone communications in a professional manner. Process incoming mail, including faxes by properly sorting, reviewing, responding timely and filing all mail or fax communications.
- Utilize a variety of computer software programs including standard office software for word processing (e.g.Word), presentation preparation (e.g. PowerPoint), and spreadsheet (e.g. Excel) applications; use Yardi software for applications, waiting list, participant recordkeeping, HUD-50058 preparation, and reporting.
- Establish and maintain participant and landlord files in accordance with DHC file protocols. This includes timely filing of all documents related to the participant file.
- Maintain the confidentiality of designated information. Perform work in accordance with HUD and PII (Personally Identifiable Information) policies.
- Application Processing: Accept applications from the public as required. Explain program procedures, eligibility criteria, waiting list preferences, anticipated waiting times, and other program issues to applicants and the public. Place applicants on the waiting list in accordance with DHC’s Administrative Plan and applicable HUD guidance and/or regulations.
- Waiting List Management: Participate in a waiting list update (purge) at least annually or as required; update applicants’ personal information and waiting list placement as required.
- Portability: Explain DHC’s portability procedures to families porting into or out of the jurisdiction. May assist as required with port-ins by providing documentation to initial PHAs and DHC’s respective Finance Department(s). May assist with follow-up with gaining PHAs to determine the status of port-outs; provide documentation to Finance Department when families are housed.
- Intake: May assist, as required, in sending letters inviting applicants to provide documentation to support their eligibility for the program. Obtain necessary verifications and other required information. Determine eligibility for the program and appropriate voucher size. Participate in applicant briefings. Explain program requirements to landlords and rental agents. Verify unit passes HQS inspection before completing negotiations. May, as required, determine rent reasonableness, calculate utility allowance, apply the 40% rent burden test, negotiate and prepare Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contracts, calculate initial HAP payments, and complete the move-in process. Notify ineligible applicants; participate in informal review process, as required.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally with a variety of people, one-on-one, in small groups, and with larger groups in a briefing situation. Contacts include a diverse, low-income population, landlords, property managers, DHC staff, and the general public.
- Ability to manage, organize, and process documents related to HUD requirements, in a manner that provides for proper file protocol and meets required timelines.
- Ability to effectively communicate in writing, generally using existing form letters or other documents as examples. Use proper and professional business email protocol.
- Ability to mitigate conflicts and negotiate successful resolutions to disputes among team members or with participants and landlords.
- Knowledge of, and ability in, organizational and planning skills necessary to accomplish the work load and the ability to apply good organizational skills.
- Analytical skills necessary to: research policies, procedures, and guidance in response to specific questions or issues; make recommendations regarding what guidance is applicable to the specific situation and what course of action should be taken.
- Creative problem solving skills for use when there is no directly applicable guidance.
- Interviewing and negotiating skills and techniques.
- Knowledge of the Section 8 programs’ regulations, guidelines, procedures, and requirements including: HUD regulations and guidelines relating to program eligibility and participation; income determination; HAP and tenant share calculation; Housing Quality Standards (HQS); rent reasonableness; payment standards; etc., State and Local building and occupancy laws or regulations; and DHC’s Administrative Plan and related policies and procedures.
- Must achieve and successfully maintain a score of 80% or above in an industry-recognized rent calculation test.
- Ability to operate a variety of standard office machines, including a computer, fax machine, copier, multi-line telephone, scanners, bar code readers and calculator.
- Knowledge of basic office procedures such as filing.
Physical Effort and Working Conditions
The incumbent typically performs work in an office environment. The employee must be physically able to operate a variety of office machines; must be able to move or carry objects or materials weighing up to 10 pounds; and must be able to walk stoop, bend or stand for moderate periods of time.
The incumbent must hold a valid state driver’s license; pass federal, state, and local criminal investigation clearances, and pass a drug screening test administered by the Commission or its designated provider. Fluency in a second language (e.g. Spanish, Vietnamese) is desirable but not required.
An Associates' Degree from an accredited college or university and two (2) years of full-time experience working in subsidized rental property management or a related field is preferred. Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP) experience is preferred. Experience working with a diverse customer population while offering a high-level of customer satisfaction is required. Work experience which includes responsibility for the management of documents, records or files associated with stringent or complex requirements, such as compliance with government regulations or federal legislation associated with the determination of program eligibility is required. CSO-HCV, CSSO-HCV, HCVEIR, HCVOEIR, HCV Specialist Certification or other HCV certifications are highly desirable.
Candidates possessing a high school diploma or GED and 3 years of full-time housing management experience will be considered in lieu of a degree when evaluating the minimum requirements.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain the HCV Specialist Certification and the HCV Rent Calculation Certification within 6 months of hire. A score of 80% or higher is required on the rent calculation examination and on the rent calculation component of the HCV Specialist examination.
Salary: $34,278.40 - $36,420.80 plus full benefit and defined contribution retirement plan
Although marijuana has been legalized under Michigan law, it is a Schedule I controlled substance and is illegal under federal law. As a federally funded agency DHC’s employees are NOT permitted to use or possess any form of marijuana for medical or recreational purposes. Any applicant for employment who tests positive for marijuana during a pre-employment drug screening shall be ineligible for employment with DHC. Any applicant for employment who advises DHC that s/he uses any form of marijuana will be ineligible for employment with DHC. DHC is unable to grant a request for a reasonable accommodation to use marijuana under any circumstance.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at WWW.DHCMI.ORG. Goto careers and select Housing Specialist by clicking the Job Title, or select the Apply button beneath the Position Description.
Mail Your Cover Letter, Resume and Voluntary Self-Identification Forms to:
The Detroit Housing Commission
H.R. Department-Venesta Jones
1301 E. Jefferson
Detroit, Mi 48207
|This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of this position. It is not intended to limit or in any way to modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression of illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind of level or difficulty.|