Job Title: Building and Grounds Custodian (Candidate Pool List)
The purpose of this position is the routine maintenance of the physical components of the properties and grounds through timely and quality completion of routine and custodial maintenance and turnover of vacant units. The Custodian must demonstrate skills at operating light duty mechanical equipment and exhibit a basic knowledge of general, custodial and grounds maintenance techniques. The individual will perform corrective and preventive maintenance and or other authorized written or verbal instructions.
This is a non-supervisory position.
Essential Job Functions
Performs a variety of tasks to assist with the maintenance of DHC structures and grounds and performs janitorial duties to ensure dwelling units, common, and public areas are clean and safe.
- Perform general cleaning of buildings to include entryway floors and doors, bathrooms, trash receptacles, hallways, elevators, and stairways.
- Inspect building(s) twice daily and perform daily work tasks.
- Inspect all entryways and ensure door glass and windows are clean.
- Inspect common area restrooms and community areas and ensure they are clean, lights are properly illuminated, restroom supplies are full; address any deficiencies.
- Inspect hallways, stairwells, elevators, break rooms, conference rooms, and offices for cleanliness and ensure all light fixtures have illuminated bulbs; remove trash and litter; empty trash in all offices and remove to dumpster daily; dust offices and conference rooms, including blinds, bookshelves, tables, file cabinets, etc.
- Clean common kitchen areas, including sinks, counter tops, refrigerators, microwaves or other appliances.
- Vacuum carpeted areas.
- Damp mop lobby areas, hallways, and floor tile in common areas and entrances; strip-mop, clean and wax surfaces.
- Perform minor maintenance duties.
- Trash out units that become vacant and place in designated areas.
- Follow all grounds maintenance policies and procedures to assure compliance with property management goals to meet and follow HUD regulations.
- Conduct daily inspections of assigned development to assess debris collection needs and report any major grounds maintenance problems to the assigned supervisor for resolution.
- Remove litter and light debris daily using a broom, spiked stick and/or motorized equipment.
- Inspect trash dumpsters and compactor areas to ensure refuse is properly discarded and kept clean.
- Cut and fertilize lawns using mowing equipment bi-weekly; as the weather seasons allow.
- Trim and edge sidewalks, flower beds and walls using edging tools bi-weekly as the weather seasons allow.
- Prune shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth as regularly assigned.
- Water lawns, shrubs, and flower beds as needed throughout the year using a weekly schedule to determine watering needs as the weather seasons allow.
- Plant flowers annuals and perennials to comply with the landscape designs for DHC housing developments.
- Rake and bag leaves in the fall for designated disposal.
- Inspect exterior light fixtures to ensure they have proper covering and light bulbs are operational
- Inspect walks, steps and risers during winter months; keep all areas clear of snow and ice and place ice melt where needed.
- Participate in assessing needs and establishing goals and plans for the Housing Authority
- Assist with the implementation plan to regularly repair and paint fences, gates and garden walls as applicable to developments.
- Assist in the preparation of the grounds at assigned work areas to conduct annual weeding and floral planting programs to beautify sites.
- Maintain and make minor repairs to equipment used for upkeep of the grounds.
- Perform a variety of labor duties which will provide for a safe sanitary environment, increase the longevity of building, add to the curb appeal of the property and make the environment attractive.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of the practices of grounds maintenance and upkeep.
- Knowledge of the use of lawn and snow removal equipment.
- Knowledge of general safety rules, including accident causation and prevention.
- Knowledge of cleaning materials such as soap, detergents, and solvents.
- Knowledge of methods of cleaning floors, lavatories, and other areas of the buildings.
- Knowledge of general grounds maintenance practices, machinery and equipment
- Skill in operating vacuum cleaners, buffers, and other common cleaning equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow written instructions
- Ability to recognize maintenance needs and make minor repairs to materials, fixtures, and equipment.
- Ability to safely operate floor cleaning and polishing machines, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, lawn edger, and other types of power machines.
- Ability to accept assigned routine work as well as special projects and to complete them, timely.
- Ability to work with a team of Building and Grounds Custodians and jointly prepare the floral areas of one or more public housing developments.
Salary: Minimum $11.00/hour
Physical Effort and Working Conditions
The Building and Grounds Custodian must be able to work outdoors for the majority of the program/calendar year; in inclement and good weather. The incumbent will be required to be able to lift objects (dirt, fertilizer, salt, etc.) that weigh about forty (40) pounds per bag on a regular basis to perform identified work tasks. The incumbent must also be able to drive/ handle lawn mowing and snow removal equipment with confidence and safety, safely move heavy supplies, machinery and equipment, and stand and walk for long periods of time.
Minimum Qualifications (Education/Experience)
The Building and Grounds Custodian must have a high school diploma or a GED equivalency. A minimum of one (1) year of experience is needed to be considered for the position. It is preferred that the Building and Grounds Custodian have two or more years of experience with a good working knowledge of the work tasks which need to be performed.
Mail your Cover Letter, Resume and Voluntary Self-Identification Forms to: ATTN: Venesta Jones, The Detroit Housing Commission, H.R. Department-Venesta Jones, 1301 E. Jefferson, Detroit, MI 48207 Or apply online at www.dhcmi.org under careers.