Job Title: Deputy Procurement Manager
The purpose of this position is to manage the purchasing and contracting function for the Detroit Housing Commission in accordance with Department of Housing and Urban Development regulations and policies. This includes developing procurement policies and procedures; accepting and scrutinizing vendor bids or proposals; selecting sources based upon analysis; arranging vendor contracts; bargaining for best costs; observing quality of purchased materials; and reviewing all activities incidental to buying and examining supplies, materials, equipment and services. The incumbent of this position receives general direction from the Director of Administrative Services, but is recognized as the technical expert on procurement and contracting subjects.
The person in this position is responsible for all positions assigned to the Procurement functional area including the Procurement Specialist and Buyer.
Essential Job Functions
- Oversee the total contracting and procurement functions for the Detroit Housing Commission by providing technical assistance to both superiors and colleagues in navigating the government procurement process to purchasing goods and services when needed to perform their responsibilities and to direct the work of subordinates to fulfill the requisites of internal and external procurement .
- Supervise technical staff engaged in procurement activities including securing contractual services and selling salvageable materials.
- Maintain a system of internal controls and develop activity reports and budgets for the operation of the Procurement Division.
- Review and approve all formal solicitations, including purchase requisitions received, specifications, lists of vendors, advertisements for bids, evaluations of bids and the recommendations to accept referenced documents prepared for the Board of Housing Commissioners and HUD.
- Provide technical assistance and advice to other divisional managers in the development of Request for Proposals, Professional Service Agreements and general procurement requests.
- Approve and conduct emergency procurement activities.
- Assist in the negotiation of contract terms, conditions and costs.
- Interface with the General Counsel to ensure that the legal aspects of procurement are followed.
- Develop and/or revise policies and procedures designed to further the efficient operation of the procurement program.
- Implement, monitor and document the use of policies and procedures for purchasing and contracting in accordance with applicable federal – U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and local and laws and procedures.
- Maintain of repository of information on updated changes; additions/deletions to regulations relative to governmental purchasing methods.
- Monitor, record and report on the Commission’s HUD Section 3 compliance and minority business contracting activities.
- Review and approve evaluation plans for Requests For Proposals (RFP) or Requests for Qualifications /Quotations RFQ)
- Represent the Commission in contacts with vendors, consultants, contractors and potential contractors, Commission staff and governmental representatives.
- Direct appropriate procurement staff to assemble all documentation to create and maintain solicitation and contract files, to include preparing contract documents, acquiring authorizing signatures, distributing and retrieving contract award documents.
- Review and approve contractual agreements, negotiate amendments and price, and verify contract performance.
- Monitor materials and supplies requisitions for completion.
- Oversee the review of requisitions, solicitations of bids and proposals, analyses and recommendations of bid and proposal acceptances, and coordination of price and cost analyses.
- Direct the management of the DHC resource recovery program by selling surplus equipment, scrap metal, tires, supplies and materials, and properly accounting for disposal of surplus property.
- Oversee compliance reviews of procurement activities completed by DHC staff and/or Alternative Management Entities.
- Direct the staff of the Procurement Division.
- Direct the daily procurement activities.
- Provide weekly and monthly reports to DHC Administration giving updates/progress reports on procurement activities.
- Provide updates on regulatory changes at the bi-weekly Administrative Meetings.
- Respond to internal and external inquiries related to assigned procurement work.
- Assess staff skills, review requisite performance appraisals and make recommendations for improved work performance or disciplinary action as is necessary.
- Review all contract and solicitation files quarterly with key staff.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of HUD, and other federal, state, and local policies, procedures, and regulations related to the operation of a public housing authority regarding procurement.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of procurement as identified by HUD and other federal guidelines.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of budgeting and budget administration
- Knowledge of supervisory methods within a HUD structure.
- Knowledge of report preparation techniques.
- Ability to interpret and apply insurance regulations as applicable to procurement policies.
- Ability to identify data to analyze for inclusions in report submissions.
- Ability to manage work through planning, organizing, delegating, and checking for completions of routine work and special projects in order to meet organizational goals and deadlines.
- Ability to develop, establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials, and the general public. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, co-workers, persons from other departments and vendors
- Ability to operate most standard office equipment such as fax machines, copiers, calculator, computer, etc.
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions
- Ability to analyze invoices, purchase orders, and requisitions.
- Skill in the use of personal computers
- Skill in the application of accounting principles and practices
Physical Effort and Working Conditions
The Procurement Manager will work in a sedentary office environment but requires mobility between buildings and offices. The work involves normal risks or discomforts associated with an office environment. The work area is usually adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
The DHC Procurement Manager must have or be capable of obtaining a valid State of Michigan Driver’s License, be capable of obtaining both a State of Michigan and City of Detroit Police Department criminal investigation clearance, be able to pass a drug screening test administered by the Detroit Housing Commission or the appointed designee, be insurable under the agency’s insurance policy, and be bondable.
Minimum Qualifications (Education/Experience)
A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, or closely related field plus five ( 5) years of progressively responsible experience in procurement and contracting for a public (government) agency or large corporation that has a formalized procurement process whereby procurement actions and contract award recommendations must be justified and documented in writing with increasingly responsible buying and contract administration experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
Salary: $70,000 $ + Full Benefits & Pension Plan
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit cover letter, resume detailing your qualifications/work experience and Voluntary Self- Identification forms to:
Detroit Housing Commission
1301 E. Jefferson
Detroit, MI 48207
apply online at www.dhcmi.org under Careers.
|This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job classification. All incumbents may not perform all job duties listed, and some incumbents may perform some duties which are not listed, and incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description.|