Job Title: ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE SPECIALIST (NON-EXEMPT)
The Accounts Receivable Specialist is a financial analyst position that is primarily responsible for overseeing and processing all tenant accounts receivable for the Low Income Public Housing (LIPH) program. The majority of receivables at DHC relate to tenant rent charges, resulting in transactions that are recorded in tenant accounts in the Accounts Receivable sub-ledger. This position maintains the Accounts Receivable sub-ledger, ensuring that the tenant accounting system properly reflects all applicable Accounts Receivable transactions. This position also analyzes TAR balances, recommends write-offs, and monitors procedures related to accounts receivables.
Essential Job Functions
Tasks and responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Processing recurring rent charges for all applicable tenants; printing and mailing rent statements.
- Applying tenant rent payments received by DHC on a recurring basis; processing, tracking, and recording utility allowance payments.
- Recording Accounts Receivable transactions related to move-ins, transfers, adjustments, move-outs, late fees, and repayment agreements for tenants who live in DHC’s Low-Income Public Housing (LIPH) properties.
- Assist in analysis and correction of HCV transactions as they affect the Accounts Receivable function; adjustments, garnishments, repayment agreement, receipts.
- Processing vacated tenant accounts for write-off; generating move-out statements and final settlement of accounts; reporting delinquent accounts to collection agency.
- Communicating directly with the Property Managers and the Asset Management Department to obtain all necessary information and to resolve any issues or concerns related to tenant accounts.
- Primary contact with AME managers and controller on Accounts Receivable related issues.
- Working directly with the appropriate General Ledger Accountant to confirm that all Accounts Receivable sub-ledger activity is correctly posted to the General Ledger; run reports; reconcile accounts as needed.
- Analyze outstanding account balances for year-end close and audit work papers.
- Cross-train on other financial areas as directed.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of the Detroit Housing Commission policies and procedures
- Knowledge of accounts receivable practices and procedures
- Knowledge of accounting-related software
- Skill in accurate and efficient data entry
- Skill in the application of accounting principles and practices
- Ability to prepare accounting reports using Crystal Reports, Excel, or other methods
- Ability to read and understand accounting texts, policies and procedures
- Ability to operate most standard office equipment such as personal computers, postage machine, fax machine, copier, 10-key calculator, etc.
- Ability to analyze invoices, purchase orders, and requisitions to determine whether payments should be made
- Ability to understand oral and in written instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, co-workers, persons from other departments and vendors
Physical Effort and Working Conditions
Work is principally sedentary. No special physical demands are required. The work involves normal risks or discomforts associated with an office environment. The work area is usually adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
The incumbent must be capable of obtaining federal, state and city police criminal investigation clearances and pass a drug screening test administered by the Commission or other source as designated by the Commission. The incumbent must be bondable.
Associates Degree in Accounting required; Bachelor’s Degree preferred; two years of experience in housing or related industry, specifically working on accounts receivables system in a similar work environment; satisfactory work history.
SALARY RANGE: $43,000-$45,000
Submit cover letter, and resume detailing your qualifications/work experience and Voluntary Self- Identification forms to:
Detroit Housing Commission
1301 E. Jefferson
Detroit, MI 48207
Apply online at www.dhcmi.org under Careers.